Hello, I’m Cynthia James. I’m a Trinidad-Canadian poet, novelist and short story writer.
I’m also a Ph. D English graduate of Howard University, Washington, D. C.
My latest publication is Watermarked: A Poetry Collection (2014). Additionally, I have two published novels, Sapodilla Terrace (2006) and Bluejean: A Novel (2000). Earlier work includes a collection of short stories, Soothe Me Music, Soothe Me (1990), and three poetry collections: La Vega and Other Poems (1995), Vigil: A Long Poem (1995), and Iere, My Love (1990).
I have one published work of literary criticism, The Maroon Narrative: Caribbean Literature Across Boundaries, Ethnicities and Centuries (Heinemann, 2002)
I have also been published in peer-reviewed journals and on peer-reviewed websites such as Callaloo, Jouvert, The Oxford Book of Caribbean Verse, The Caribbean Writer, Sisters of Caliban, World Literature Today, Wasifiri, Postcolonial Text, The Massachusetts Review, sx-Salon, and 100 Poems from Trinidad & Tobago.
In addition to being a writer, I’m an English professor.
Here are a few links that may interest:
- sx salon 2017
- sx salon 2015
- sx salon 2012
- Watermarked: A Poetry Collection
- Winner of The Caribbean Writer’s Canute A. Brodhurst Prize for Volume 26, 2012
- The Maroon Narrative: Caribbean Literature in English Across Boundaries, Ethnicities and Centuries
- Postcolonial text
- Kacike: Kacike: Journal of Caribbean Amerindian History & Anthropology
- Children’s Literature Association Quarterly
- International Poetry Festival at Medellín
- Jouvert – A postcolonial Journal
- Teaching of English Blog
- Computer Assisted Language Learning
- Sapodilla Terrace
- University of the West Indies, St. Augustine
- UWI Space
- UWI Space
- Medellín Reading